Tuesday, January 10, 2017

WEEK 7---January 9, 2017---FIRST WEEK OUT, FOOD, SQUASH (WE THINK THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED, LANGUAGE

First Week Out
This marks the first full week out in Valle de Bravo. It has been good so far. I have been meeting a lot of people. Everyone that we have talked to here has been so kind. The ward members here take very good take of the Elders. We have eaten lunch with the members every day of the week. Even if we stop by a member's house for a quick visit, they invite us in and give us something to eat or run to a store and grab something for us. The members are a blessing to the missionaries.

Food
It is necessary that I dedicate an entire section dedicated to talking about the food here. First of all, we've eaten a ton of tacos. Every meal is served with corn tortillas off to the side. My first taco in Mexico was delicious, and basically every other taco after that has been delicious too. 

We also drink Coca-Cola every lunch. The members run to a little tienda (store) and grab an ice cold 3 liter for the meal. My companion and I drink about 2 liters of it during the meal. It's delicious, and I've also heard a rumor that it's a good way to stay stomach healthy, because it burns any bad bugs that get ingested. It's probably a rumor, but I use it to give me free license to drink mucho amounts of Coke. Haha. 

Also another good thing we've eaten has been empanadas. Another family made us enchilidas and panbasos. The panbaso is basically a deep fried roll with meat, beans, lettuce, and salsa. It's delicious.

The only thing that caught me off guard so far has been manitos de cerdo. PIGS FEET. I luckily ate it in time before the Hermana told us. My companion wasn't so lucky hahaha. He couldn't bring himself to eat it. The texture is just pretty different with all of the nerves inside. But it actually tasted like pork so the flavor was still on point.

Squash (We think that's what it's called)
We met a butcher on the street whose named Jesus. He is a tank of a man. His hands are rock solid. I've never seen someone with hands that strong. He invited us to play squash with him today. Squash is basically racquetball minus the racquet. It is most definitely a man's sport. You just smack the ball as hard as you can with you palm and try to hit the wall. My hand was swollen basically immediately after hitting it once. I couldn't look weak in front of my friends, so of course I played for the next hour and a half. My hand was swollen and completely numb after for about 2 hours.


Language
The language has been hard. I can talk a little bit, but I haven't learned how to listen in Spanish. So it's been a whirlwind trying to understand and help people when I have a very small idea of what they are even talking about. I really hope to learn fast so that I can understand people and be able to help them more fully.

Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment